I used a long bolt and a spring as a spacer.  I don't have to remember to
remove a cork/spacer before removing the wheel.  That's good for the times
I'm fixing a flat on the road.  My Riv Road has forward facing horizontal
dropouts (Campy 1010).

Sometimes I have to re-adjust the spring after re-mounting the wheel; it's
not 100% automatic.  But pretty good.

I rummaged around the spring drawers at my local hardware store until I
found one that seemed ok.  I'ts about 2.5" long, and light/medium strength.