How long is your ratchet Michael ?    The longer the better, and the longer
it is, the more efficient your input is .  Leverage brother, leverage !

I use a 16" Craftsman torque wrench these days, and boy I wish I had one
these back in the day !  It was always difficult to get enough torque with
a small ratchet or the Campy peanut butter wrench.

As for VO cranks, hmmm, I considered them many times, but each time I have
this nagging sense that says look elsewhere. Their "Touring" crank is not
even offered anymore, which says to me that their stuff comes and goes a
bit too easily for my liking.

And I agree, the XD crank is alright, but by no means great . Sugino makes
others though :)
https://www.benscycle.com/p-910-sugino-alpina-2-500d-crankset.aspx
http://www.alexscycle.com/cranks/road-1-2-3-4-5-6/
or just get the XD-350 for less $$, the same XD crank but with a 36t steel
middle ring !  No biggie to me, adds 40grams, costs much less $$ .
https://www.benscycle.com/p-915-sugino-xd-350-crankset.aspx
and others, triples and doubles  . .  . .
http://www.davincitandems.com/comp.html
http://www.xxcycle.com/crankset-stronglight-impact-compact,,en.php