I had the same problem with a Sugino XD600 on a long brevet with the left
side crankarm.  I replaced the left side crank arm along with the bottom
bracket and torqued the crank arm down to 40 ft/lbs per specs.

The left side arm only cost $23 and the BB was less than $20, so maybe this
would be an option for you as well vs. a new crankset?

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Michael Hechmer <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 10 year old Sugino crank, on which the left arm has now come
> loose twice.  The first time I attributed it to my error in not tightening
> it down after reinstalling.  I have never been ham fisted and now with some
> arthritis often overestimate how tight bolts are.  The second time seems
> more problematic.  I'm giving it one more try after getting out my 3/8
> ratchet arm and leaning on it; but I am not optimistic.
>
> I've never been as enamored of this crank as GP and so have started
> looking for a replacement.  The VO looks like a good value at $195.  Cold
> forged, pinned rings.  Does anyone here have experience with this crank?
>
> Michael

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!