On Friday, June 27, 2014 8:54:29 AM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:

> Unlike you, I did say a word when I stood next to a young man who was at
> least 6'3" tall (he was taller than my 6'2" brother) to whom the clerk was
> trying to sell a 56 cm frame. I threw a wrench into the spokes of that sale!
>
> With modern compact frames, roughly what heights would ride a 56 -- not
> sure if this means c-c or c-t nowadays.

With modern "compact" bikes, I believe the key is to look at the top tube
length, especially if the bikes come in Small, Medium, Large, etc.
Nevertheless, I think that anyone 6'3 is probably going to need a bike
bigger than "56cm."

> OTOH, I've noticed many very high bars on carbon fiber road bikes; they
> look odd what with the short wheelbase and compact frames. The bars are
> often tilted so that the points of the weirdly long brake/shift levers are
> pointed upward at a dramatic angle.

In fairness to the large bike mfrs, some do  offer frames with different
front ends that get the bars high. For example, Trek sells it Trek Madones
with H1 and H2 fit. H1 is for those who are "racers" and want low bars. H2
"features
a slightly higher head tube to put less strain on your back and neck. It's
the right way to get most riders, including many of our Pro Team riders, in
the right place. With no need for high-rise stems or spacer stacks, the
look is nothing but pro." Several of my friends have Trek Madone with H2
fit  Add in that two of them have the latest di2 e-shifting and well, it
gets them out there and riding!  Good Luck!