Saturday I rode with two friends on a local bike path in Kentucky then over
the Ohio River on a bridge that is currently closed to motor vehicle
traffic and normally doesn't allow bikes, to another bike path in Illinois.
I rode my canti orange Sam Hillborne, friend also rode his Hillborne (canti
post green), and my other friend rode his Bleriot. All in all it turned out
to be a wonderful ride except for my friend on the Bleriot...his handlebar
clamp nut stripped out and his handlebars were moving all over. There
wasn't much we could do except take it easy on the way back and in the end
everything turned out okay. It was hot, like 95 in the shade, sunny but no
wind to speak of and we only got chased by two dogs.

The reason the bridge was closed to vehicle traffic is that they are adding
a tunnel into the bike path underneath the roadway that the bridge
services. This will be really safe for all the cyclists as the road is
heavily used and the traffic is normally scooting right along. It's too bad
the bridge doesn't have a ped/bicycling lane on it and is normally closed
to cyclists because it could link up the two bike paths and connect two
towns for pedestrians and cyclists. Take what you can get, I guess.

I did the same ride on Sunday with another friend, but this time I took my
Roadeo. Still hot and the wind picked up, but the ride was uneventful and
peaceful. I think the Sam handled the bridge surface (steel grate) better
than the Roadeo, mostly because I have Ruffy Tuffys on the Sam and Stampede
Pass tires on the Roadeo. No dogs gave chase on the second day; probably
too hot. In Kentucky you tend to judge your rides by how many dogs chase
after you. ;)