I suppose I should clarify that I did pay for the new frame - but full
price, which they certainly could have asked for, since as you say, I
wasn't the customer (though several parts did come from them, most visibly
the Bosco Bullmoose's). Wouldn't want to set up anyone else to expect (or
demand) free stuff, especially since every situation is different.

I told Keven I was curious, so hopefully he'll let me know what they find
out about the problem. My uneducated guess would have been that something
wasn't right with the brazing process, wrong temperature or some such
thing, except it looks like the crack is in the tube and not actually
inside the joint - of course that could also be a side effect of my riding
on it "loose," when the problem started elsewhere.