brass grows a very nice patina in weathering exposure.  You have to have
salts and build up of sludge to make brass corrode, and then you can't even
tell that it corroded because the normal mode is dealloying.
This fishing reel is 130 years old - where it was corroding is where
mildewed silk line was rotting on it.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/ocean%20city/Mills/leonard041.jpg>