On Sunday, July 27, 2014 4:07:27 PM UTC-4, Peter M wrote:

> Ah, I see. I am a semantics person too so I appreciate the clarification.
> On Jul 27, 2014 4:06 PM, "Steve Palincsar" <pali...@his.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>
>>  On 07/27/2014 04:01 PM, Goshen Peter wrote:
>>
>> So what does brass do, is just called patina?
>>
>> "corrosion"
>>
>> On Jul 27, 2014 4:01 PM, "Steve Palincsar" <pali...@his.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:

>>> Not to be pedantic or anything (nobody would ever be pedantic on this
>>> list) but since rust is iron oxide, brass does not rust.

The desired word here is 'tarnish'.   In this case, dealing with brass, it
is an oxidation process.   As Steve pointed out, rusting is the oxidation
of iron;  tarnishing is the oxidation of copper or brass.  (Though to be
precise, a tarnish can form with other than 'oxidation'; if instead of
oxygen, it was sulfur dioxide, or for silver, hydrogen sulfide... well,
there's the whole reducing environment versus oxidizing environment... say,
if you have available iron in an an oxidizing environment, yes, you can
have hematite or magnetite forming (Fe2O3 or Fe3O4), but if it's a reducing
environment, you end up with pyrites (FeS2, etc.) instead.

One difference:  a tarnish is happening on the surface, and can form a
'protective' layer for the underlying metal.   A rust, like a normal 'red'
rust, can continue to see ongoing oxidation of iron.  (However, it is
possible to get a 'black rust' to act as a tarnish, and keep the underlying
iron from rusting. )

-L
(a geologist, trying to remember his chemistry....)