Why do you think Grant carries hatchets? Grin.

I'm no help for what may or may not work on the bike. However, what you
describe sounds like condramylagia (sp?), which I got growing up and had
two surgeries for by the time I was 17. Basically, the cartilage under the
knee cap is tearing. Here is what helped mine:

-- muscle strengthening. I do squats, very slow up and down. As well as
trail run and bike regularly. As your quads build up, the pain should
decrease significantly.
-- real bone broth. We have this regularly year round. Simmer bones in a
pot for 24 hours with a tablespoon of vinegar. Once the broth is gone,
repeat. Till the bones are gone (or we eat them). This gives your body the
raw building materials for structural healing, bones, tendons, etc. We use
oxtail.
-- Walk and run with better alignment and motion. I don't know if this can
be done other ways or not, but I know going barefoot as often as possible
does this.

Heal well!

With abandon,
Patrick