Has spokes changed that much? According to a chart in Jobst's book, the
yield strength of spokes was something like twice or thrice the tension
typically applied in a normal wheel. The spokes are typically not any
thinner than are currently available to mitigate spoke windup from to low
torsional strength. I actually have some experience with this as building
with 2.0/1.5 spokes, especially on the rear drive side, is a bit of a pain.