The second time I shellacked a bar I had the same experience--sticky
brown stuff, almost like I had coated the bars with rubber cement.

I think there are two keys: First, the initial application should be
allowed a day or two to dry. Second, after 3 or 4 coats (waiting 4-6
hours between coats), ride the bike for a while, and then do another 2
or 3 coats. I apply 1 coat every evening until I'm satisfied with the
results; that way I can ride the bike the next day.

Riding the bike in between smooths out the initial application. I also
think that shellacking works better when there are no cables running
underneath the tape.

Personally, I like my bars almost smooth. Here's a picture:
http://tinyurl.com/yd542lz

John