For sure *if* their CNC mill is already running at full capacity, *then*
they need more capacity in order to expand their offerings and supply more
parts.

To me it's all about their perception of a need (do 1x riders really drop
their chain with our current parts?), followed by a willingness to fill
that need (Let's steal RaceFace's lunch money!) and then executing a
design.  The manufacturing part will take care of itself after that.  From
what Lynette said, they have only discussed the need, but haven't done
anything about it yet.

That gets me thinking...

I have a VBC crankset on my road bike.  It's a 44/30.  I could just remove
the front derailer and the 30T ring, and put on a bigger cassette.  Maybe
borrow the Rivvy 12-34 from my Hillborne.  That would give me a 1x9 with
gears of:  35,42,50,57,66,74,85,91,99

What else would I possibly need on a road bike?