On Sep 27, 2009, at 11:29 PM, usuk2007 wrote:

> I just don't see the need for the quick release gizmos, it only takes
> a few moments to unhook a saddlebag and attach it again using the
> regular saddle loops.

That's a nuisance, especially if you have put the buckles inside the
bag to snug it up against the saddle.  You have to open the bag, move
the contents out of the way, do gymnastics to see or blindly undo the
buckles by feel, drag the slightly oversized straps through the slots
in the saddle, etc., etc.  If you're going to be removing and
installing the bag a few times a day, some sort of QR system is helpful.

I don't like the Bagman, the Carradice SQR, etc.  They look like
designs asking to fail at some point due to the long lever with teh
weight of the bag at the far end.  And they just look kludgy to my
eyes.  Thus far I have only seen three QR systems I like- the old
Jobst Brandt/Peter Johnson system which has been updated by
Rivendell, a much older English version of similar but simpler design
which had a keyed rod that fit into a frame and served as a support
to hold and pull-pin to release the bag, and a system sort of like a
stoker stem with a mounting plate for the bag on the end of the
"stem."  The latter has the advantage of making a rigid connection
between the bag and the bike.  Local guy Mark Stonich made a slick
one out of an old seat lug and top tube from a ruined frame, with the
seat lug slipping over the seat post and the section of top tube
extending behind the bike- nice way to re-purpose something that
would have gone to a landfill otherwise.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/bags_and_racks?
a=1&page=3#product=20-109

http://mly.smugmug.com/Jobsting/2006-Sierra-Spring-
Tour-1/1520466_GR8Zv#73060129_6xnyM-A-LB

I haven't been able to find a photo of the old British version, might
have been made by Karrimor.

My solution is that my Carradice Nelson Longflap just stays on the
bike.  Anything I need to take with me out of the saddle bag is in a
stuff sack or some other easily removed container.