Close shouldn't be a problem, because it minimizes torsion on the cage.  I
take the "clear a penny" approach when adjusting height of my FD - a penny
resting against the large ring should clear the cage all the way around.
 From this
photo,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stonehog/14746522120/in/set-72157646102516140/
 it looks like the cracks had been growing for a long time.  Did you move
it from another bike?  If you don't need a triple. the smaller opening of a
road double is going to make for a stronger cage.