Maybe I wasn't, but after reading the excerpt you provided I think
Rivendell uses halo marketing (or whatever you want to call it) very well.
A shopper might visit the riv website drooling over a frameset that is
completely unaffordable for them, and find something rivish at a price
point they can afford - like pedals, a handlebar, or a bag to make their
bargain bike more rivish. Seems like marketing 101 and I can't think of
many companies that doesn't have flagship products and tiered pricepoints.