On Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:54:10 PM UTC-7, Christopher Murray wrote:

> Halo products are not about sales- they are about marketing. The company
> knows it isn't going to sell very many (if any) of the product to actual
> consumers. Pros and shop employees will buy it for a HEAVILY discounted
> price ($0 in some cases). The purpose is to establish the brand as the
> market leader.
>
> A rep for a very high end outdoor gear company laughed when I asked him
> how many of a specific pack they sold each year. His quote was something
> like "I'd be surprised if we sold any- nobody buys that thing". It was
> $600. But EVERYBODY knew about it and asked about it when they came into
> the store.

Bingo! That's exactly right. I think of these high end offerings like a
Corvette. Very few buy one, but they're in the showroom for people to drool
over. Then they get over it and buy what they really need!  That happened
to me! I went in to a Toyota dealer and they had a $370K (on sale!) Lexus
LFA in the showroom!  Drool, only a few hundred of those made. I looked at
it and made a few jokes, then went about picking up my Prius....I know,
kind of sad. But the Prius has a hatchback and will transport my bike.
That's something that $400k Lexus couldn't do!

I also find it funny that this WSJ article, written in August 2014, doesn't
mention the latest hot bike from Trek, the $15K Emonda (sp?) with Sram Red!
At 10.25lb with a 680g frame that supposedly has a 275lb weight limit, it
is the lightest production bike on the market!  But, with the latest
lightweight groups like Sram Red, just about every bike mfr has a sub-12lb
bike.  Heck, put a Sram Red group on a Riv custom and I bet it could get
down to 16-17lb?  :) Good Luck!