I know I said this dealer was known for asking above-market prices (and as
was said here, that's his prerogative) but this is ridiculous.  I will copy
his response verbatim:

 Thanks for the inquiry and interest.  Great choice.

Because we are willing and able to furnish any bike with a choice of
component changes both major and minor, pricing is most flexible.

We can upgrade to any special need or even 'de tune' in the case of a
price-based decision and lower level of investment.

As currently built we have this listed at $3200.

That's not much more than Waterford and Rivendell get for a bare frame and
fork these days

If it were smaller it would have disappeared long ago and would have been
priced higher, though I might have been tempted to hoard it in the personal
livery

If you can appreciate a great opportunity and are a little impulsive, get
us a small deposit before we close out the third quarter at the end of this
month and our bean counter will show her appreciation for taking it off
inventory and make a nice contribution of $200

Like an even greater opportunity and feeling little more impulsive?

pay and take it by the end of the month and I will match her offer

Please let me know when you can visit so I can have it here to see

"As currently built" is with no front or rear derailleur or chain.  Add
those items and I'd be up the the cost of a brand new AAH.  Okay, he
offered to knock $400 off so we're really at $2800 plus the cost of the
added hardware.  So it's the equivalent of a new Sam.   Still, I think I'll
pass...  (Should I tell him?)