Rod, thank you for summarizing it so well. Yes, the extra cush and grip of
wide tires trumps the slower handling. That handling issue can be positive
- some bike can use some "calming" – but it occurs with all geometries,
whether low-, mid- or high-trail bikes (however you define those).

So yes, if I am buying a new bike and want nimble handling, 650B x 42 mm.
If I have a 700C bike, 700C x 38 mm will improve it in most cases and for
most tastes. However, there are some drawbacks to wider tires - see this
blog post
<http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/the-downsides-of-wide-tires/>
from a few years ago.

Jan Heine