Interesting observation about the rim width. I am running the 650B x 42 mm
Babyshoe Pass Extralights both on 20 mm and 23 mm rims, and cannot notice a
difference, either on pavement or on gravel, even when running the wheels
on the same bike...

Regarding the cuts, it's impossible to say much without seeing the tires,
but generally, a piece of casing is as strong as the casing it replaces.
Your rocks must be sharper than ours – my tires have many gravel miles on
them, but no issues at all. Or perhaps it's just the luck of the draw?

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.