I've never used my Sackville backs in sub-freezing, so I can't dispute you
if you say it's hard to manage, but to get inside the bag you just need to
unsnap a snap, right?  Two, actually.  Does the strap slip out of your grip
when you try to grab it to unsnap it?  if so, there are solutions to that.
I can see that it might be hard to deal with the belt buckle things, but
you don't need to deal with those to get into the bag.  Those are for setup
adjustment.