I do a lot of trail biking (which around here means the woods-  hilly
singletrack with plenty of roots and rocks) on a Quickbeam, which is sized
rivendell recommended saddle height minus 16cm.    I have sometimes felt I
should have more standover clearance, due to prevailing beliefs.    But in
fact when i think about it, I have actually never had an issue with
standover-  not once that i can recall-  despite countless foot-downs,
sudden dismounts, occasional spills, etc.     I've definitely been nearly
violated by the saddle a few times during a sudden dismount or slipped
pedal, but never by the top-tube.