There are alternatives to rim dynamos as well.  I recently did a "user"
(i.e., non-technical) review of a number of different types of generators
on my blog.  It's fairly long, but if you want to start from the beginning,
you can go here:
http://lawschoolissoover.wordpress.com/2014/07/20/the-shocking-truth/.  I
evaluate hub dynos, bottom bracket dynos, sidewall dynos, and (the newest
thing!) the Velogical rim dyno.  It's not *definitive*, but it may be
useful.