RBW list-dwellers are a pretty unique pool of people. Consider the amount
of items bought and sold here that are paid and shipped with trust and good
intentions. I'm projecting a bit, but I don't think any of us would be too
thrown off by a pre-sale item. Big-money items are different than a patch,
mug or shirt, but I wouldn't put them out of the question, either.

But even outside of the RBW orbit, I can think of Elephant bikes which is
doing a run of frames pre-sale, sight
unseen http://www.elephantbikes.com/blog/2014/09/14/stock-nfe-project.html
I came real close to getting one, and eventually decided not to, NOT
because of the pre-sale (which I never questioned for a second) but I just
can't justify yet another bike at the moment. Give me a few more months...