It may be hearsay, but I believe the (book, not old zine/mag) FTF
describes a batch of Ritchey-built Moutainbikes that had incorrect ht
angle / rake... which were sold at discount t to their friends
@Specialized. Curiously, the first-gen batch of Japanese stumpjumpers
appeared! replicating the "error". And then everybody and their uncle
jumped into the business... and the rest as they say is history!

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA