On Monday, November 10, 2014 1:44:50 PM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

>  On 11/10/2014 02:09 PM, Daniel M wrote:
>
> My friend, who is an anthropologist, has a rather different take on the
> barefoot running / paleo diet thinking, which I will not get into now,
> except to share this comic just inside the suggested noon cutoff. I copied
> and pasted it into this window so my fingers are crossed that it is
> viewable to everybody else.
>

> Those 20th-century guys were really on to something, no? In the paleo -
> times that we look upon wistfully, the expected lifespan was something like
> 35 years!
>

> How long is 100 inches in caveman years, anyway?
>
> As for expected lifespan: I was reading a very interesting book not long
> ago called "War: What Is It Good For?"  The author contends that in
> primitive societies the death rate due to murder and violence is very high,
> many times higher than in more highly organized societies.  (War being good
> for conquest creating larger societies, in which rulers in order to make it
> easier to maintain control and to extract wealth in the form of taxation
> suppress "private" violence, thereby driving death rates from violence and
> private murder down dramatically.)
>
> We also know from archaeological evidence that in those primitive
> societies with those short average lifespans, there were significant
> numbers of very elderly being cared for by the group.
>
> Kicking "average lifespan" around as though you could point to assumed
> dietary differences as the major factor explanation without considering the
> effect of war and private murder seems rather silly: it hardly matters how
> healthy your diet may or not be when somebody is bashing your head in with
> a big rock.

Agree, I also read another theory that the "caveman/paleo" lifespan was
actually much longer than the 25-35 years that some people believe. The
short lifespan included many who died at birth or by the time they were
like 5 years old from disease or malnuitrition. If you eliminate that
segment, it was speculated that the caveman could have a lifespan of about
65-70 years. Now, this is still shorter than the current average for modern
man which I recently heard was something like 78.1 years, but not
substantial like the common misperception of 25-35 years of age. Good Luck!