David,

*Your general experiences? *

Not a lot of change with a diet like this for us from an otherwise balanced
with healthy grain diet in body mass or otherwise. Our cholesterol jumped a
little, but that's subject to fluctuation anyway.

On good vs bad cholesterol, see
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/health/research/hdl-good-cholesterol-found-not-to-cut-heart-risk.html?_r=0

Don't know if that's truth or truthy, just another data point.

*Your reasons for adopting this diet, and your experience in the transition
period? *

Read Mark Sisson's blog a few years ago, and it sounded like it made sense.
Now it doesn't so much. I watched this recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

*Difficulties? *

We were pretty strict on the diet for about two years. We were probably
constipated the whole time. Ate only grain fed beef and fish (which, BTW,
is typically just cattle fed bales of alfalfa instead of grain).

My wife and I are both fairly trim (I'm 6'1", about 170 lbs), she's a size
four. We pretty much went back to just veggies, some whole grains, and fish
(occasionally) when we're out to dinner. Likewise any refined sugar. My
wife felt better immediately after leaving the heavy meat Paleo, and shed
about four or five pounds.

Also struggled with the sustainability of a high meat Paleo diet. Don't
think too many Paleolithic creatures were eating bacon. Maybe more rotting
carcases on the veranda. Maybe that's what gave us the tongue for umami.
Bacon? See
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/05/business/PEDv-plagues-the-pork-industry-and-environmentalists.html

I wonder what goes on in the intestines and glandular functions with a high
animal tissue diet. Maybe Grant's book will discuss that. I know he's
looking into a lot of this stuff, and I'll be curious to read about it.

*What would you bring on a lengthy bike ride (bike-related!) or overnight? *

Long bike ride? Lots of sugar is supposedly consumed with impunity. See
Gretchen Reynolds' book on diet for bike rides:
http://www.amazon.com/The-First-20-Minutes-Surprising/dp/B00CY5AUYA

Overnight? Food you really like. Warm food if it's going to be cold. We
like soup!

Cheers,

Chris