Any seller on eBay can sell anything for any price they can get. EBay is about
the sellers; the higher the prices that items are sold for, the more profit
eBay makes. They really have no reason to care if buyers overpay.  Shop
victoriously!

The rule on eBay, as with virtually all other marketplaces, is "caveat emptor."
 The buyer needs to do the research to understand what is or is not a good
price for a product. If they do not bother to do said research, then they are
fools destined to be separated from their money. Over the many years that I've
been buying on eBay, I have watched many buyers pay far more than retail for
currently available products.

For what it's worth, I have sold one item on eBay and will never sell another
item through that service. The fees are exorbitant and ultimately I ended up
losing my shirt on the item I sold largely because of what eBay charged me.
That was a "live and learn" experience. Everybody's got to have a few of those
in life.

As far as the specific seller is concerned, I haven't looked at his auctions
and don't directly have a whole lot to say. I have found some people in the
"vintage bike component of market" too often over estimate the value of their
items.  I remember 10 or 15 years ago when vintage Campagnolo components were
going for stupid prices, sometimes far higher than they are now on eBay.  One
sees the same sort of thing- basically "gouge the rubes-" among some antique
dealers.  Thing is you don't have to buy.

I have also had good experiences with some of the vintage bike parts sellers;
locally there was a guy named John Barron with whom I had a number of good
experiences- not only decent prices but he even delivered for free since I
lived a mile from his day job. John put a lot of work into locating parts,
sometimes even traveling out of the country to find them. I doubt he made a lot
of profit off of this.  Of course there was that time he crashed me at the
velodrome and I separated my shoulder...

(it wasn't really his fault, I just put that in there for dramatic effect)