A pint's a pound, which means 100 oz of water is a little over three
pounds. My body weight varies by more than three pounds from week to
week, and I don't notice that affects bike handling. I don't find the
three pound weight on my back noticeable as far as handling is
concerned.

I do notice, and don't like, having a sweaty back from a water
backpack, but I unfortunately have an auto-immune disease that makes
me have a dry mouth, so making it easy to sip water frequently is
important for me.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:
> In my experience, weight of any kind travels better when lower, though I
> oddly prefer the SaddleSack to panniers. It may not be a big thing for you.
> With my vertigo, anything that effects the handling of the bike is
> trip-ending. I can't carry weight above my waist, so hydration packs are out
> for me as an option anyway, so I can't speak to the benefit of the weight
> being on me above my suspension (knees/elbows), vs. on the bike below
> suspension.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick
>
> On Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:06:26 PM UTC-7, Anne Paulson wrote:
>>
>> Why? Why should you get it low? I would have thought keeping it on
>> your back, above the suspension (your knees) would be better.

-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.