They don't wear full backpacking packs, typically. They wear packs
designed for cyclists, like these:

http://www.rei.com/product/847872/camelbak-mule-hydration-pack-100-fl-oz
http://shop.camelbak.com/hawg-nv/d/1003_cl_3900
http://shop.camelbak.com/volt-13-lr/d/1247_cl_3426
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens_1_1/raptor_14_1

I happen to have a Camelbak HAWG and a Camelback Volt and have worn
each one on numerous rides. I've not noticed any difference in
handling of the bike. They're fine. Where I live, a lot of people wear
hydration packs when they're riding off road. This is not unusual or
strange.

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:
> Yeah. Folks who wear a backpack baffle me. I did a ride with a friend who
> didn't have panniers, so he brought a quality running pack to cary his gear
> for the day. Have the weight op that high annoyed him to no end, and he test
> rode without it and felt an amazing difference. All with about 10 pounds of
> stuff. I have no idea how the folks wearing full backpacking packs when
> bikepacking do it.
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick

-- Anne Paulson