On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM, 40_Acres <mgla...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel as if I'm committing an act of heresy, but I'm very curious to
> hear others thoughts.  I'm no stranger to riding in sneakers on
> platform pedals, or to using old-school quills and toe clips (with and
> without cycling-specific shoes).  When I bought my AHH this Summer, I
> decided to give both platforms and quills a serious go of it.  After
> 4.5 months I'm back to clipless pedals, even for short errands around
> town.  Any fellow heretics out there?

I jettisoned the Dura Aces on my gofast, the 959s on my commuter, and the
540s (I think) on the mtb for clips and straps, this about two years ago,
and I was quite happy for a while. I used indoor Soccer shoes on the MTB and
nice old Sidis with slotted cleats on the gofast. But recently I've gone
back to clipless on the mtb and the gofast, for these reasons:

MTB: I often have to start off in sand, and this means I need very quick
entry. Although getting into straps is no big deal in other situations, I
find SPDs even faster, and I do like SPDs, of all the mtb systems I've tried
(basically, Grafton, Frogs, and various SPD clones).

Gofast: the slotted cleats do migrate sideways; and I always have a hotspot
on my left foot which is, I think, due to a pronated foot. I recently got a
cheap and very nice pair of Shimano road shoes, and they felt very
comfortable, so instead of trying to get them to work with the problematical
Yellow Jersey slotted cleats, I went back to Looks which, of all clipless
pedals, are, for me, noticeably more comfortable thanks to their big
platform. They also feel more comfortable than the Sidis. I also like their
very positive click-in.

On the Riv commuter and the Motobecane grocery fixies, I keep the track
pedals  for use with my usual leather slip-ons with stiff leather insoles.

On the occasional Schwinn Sprint grocery bike, I use rubber block pedals;
but I shall sell that if anyone wants it.

I may go back to the slotted cleats on the gofast; the difference between
the Sidis + track pedals and the Shimanos + Looks is not huge. But for not,
I am enjoying the nice, solid feel of the Looks.

FWIW, I never found clipping into straps any problem, even on fixed gears
(all my road bikes are fixed gears). I tighten the left strap and leave just
enough wiggle room in the right that I can both insert my foot, and yank my
foot out in an emergency, without releasing the buckle. On the commuters,
with street shoes, I keep both straps snuggish but not binding, and this is
tight enough to add retention but loose enough to allow entry and egress.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM