I expected these comments.  I have used 3 different pairs of shoes
with the cleats mounted in just about every position imaginable.  The
only way to alleviate this discomfort would be to stuff a large Dr.
Scholls in there.  But then, that wouldn't alleviate me having to wear
special shoes every time I wanted to ride, which is another beef I
have with them.

A final beef I have - which someone else touched on - is being locked
into a fixed, linear motion.  To me, it's the cycling equivalent of
squatting in a Smith machine.  Yes, you feel more efficient but the
human body isn't designed to work that way and you're setting yourself
up for an eventual RSI.  This of course is my opinion, and there is a
great deal of differing opinion, so we'll leave it at that.