Hi Peter,
Just a thought on the Soma GR-- perhaps you used a saddle that's relatively
tall? I think Brooks saddles sit higher (i.e., you need to put the seat
post lower) than some other saddles.

For example, look at this comparison on Ocean Air Cycles (4th photo down):
http://oceanaircycles.com/2011/06/23/saddle-comparison-brooks-b17-swift-and-berthoud-touring/

If the Soma GR is otherwise nice, maybe try a different saddle with lower
height?

shoji