after the lecture, that's condescension..
here's my daughter's frame, her first drop bar and fast steering bike - she
had problems steering it for the first 100 miles.  In everything, she is an
aggressive charger.

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/Fuji/aP6220007.jpg>

DT shifters would be a half-inch from the tire, and she didn't need the
distraction, while she could develop the skill, she shifts the indexed bar
ends without thinking

on my go-fast bike, DT shifters a good 3 inches from the tire

<http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/bulldog1935/Raleigh/F%20Moser/aaaP6140003.jpg>

there are other variables than reach from the saddle