An L bracket would be another nice approach, particularly with the Sheldon
nuts.
I have cut bolts to fit before, though probably not that short.
I was just putting longboards over soma GR tires on my Hilsen. There is not
much room and the 45 fenders are barely wider than the tires. I think
getting the fender in just the right place would be easier with a threaded
bridge than with the other methods.
Of course if they work ok the way they are now I'm not gonna be in a big
hurry to mess with it.