Comment on batteries, I use CR123 Lithium batteries wherever possible,
since they have very strong and flat output (voltage) over their useful
life. Yes, they tend to just die when used up, no appreciable tapering off,
but I carry spare or two and prefer the strong light they deliver from
flashlights. If one uses a TwoFish rubber & velcro lockblock, it's very
easy to attach a lightweight and brilliant LED flashlight (such as quark
mini from 4Sevens) and get useful illumination of the road ahead.

Which is not to say that I'm not also considering a dyno for the bike -
just how I'm rolling now, without dyno.

- Andrew, Berkeley