Anne - I put Rock&Roads on my AHH and loved them for road (they had a pleasing
whooshing sound) and dirt and sand ( though in limited amts). Gave up on them
because of not being able to solve fender issues. I live in Portland!!
Then I got the Continental Cyclecross speed tire- it has a file tread in the
middle and knobbies on the sides. ( Riv sells them sometimes) They were great
for mixed terrain - I was able to keep up with several riders on full-on Mtn
bikes on a ride with mostly dirt trails.
I only swapped them out to try the Compass Barlow Pass tires which are now my
most favorite ( I know I am fickle).
Dennis in PDX