Wow, Bill.  That is an inspiring (and, for those like me who lack the
imagination/skills to conceptualize such a thing, humbling)  winter project.
Pics along the way, please, please, please.  And good luck!

From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Lindsay
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 11:31 PM
To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RBW] Re: What's your winter project?

OK, this might be the weirdest winter project I've ever taken on, but I did put
in some serious design work today, and the concept is actually taking shape.
This Winter project is that I am going to build my own desmodromic rear
derailer.  What the heck is that?  A desmodromic mechanism is something that is
actively driven in all directions.  The most well known desmodromic mechanism,
and what you'll see if you Google the word "desmodromic" , is Ducati valves.  A
rotating cam throws the valve open and another rotating cam throws it closed.
There is no return spring.  It's driven open and closed.  Some classic old
French derailers had a loop of cable that, like a push-me-pull-you, would drag
the derailer to the left and to the right.  The parallelogram had no return
spring.  Much more recently, White Industries made a desmodromic shifting
system, called the LMDS (Linear Motion Derailer System).  Look it up, it's
pretty swank.

So, what I've got scoped out, is that I'm going to take my favorite stock rear
derailer (RD-M760-GS low normal), remove the spring, and set it up for a
secondary cable. The actuating mechanism of our modern derailers is a
parallelogram with a pretty complex geometry.  Those of us used to friction
shifting with lots of gears can attest to the fact that the derailer responds
differently at different places in the sweep of the shifter.  For me the
incredibly sensitive spot is dropping from the biggest cog on the cassette to
the next one.  You just touch the shifter and it moves.  It's super sensitive.
I did all the measurements and calculations and now the data tells me why.  The
geometry of the parallelogram demands it.  So, I need a shifter with a profile
that isn't round.  It needs to be a profile that complements the geometry of
the parallelogram of my derailer.  Let's say you want to move the shifter 120
degrees to sweep all the way from cog 1 to cog 9.  Then, ideally, you want
every one of those 8 steps to be exactly 15 degrees of movement.  With the
right shifter profile, that's no problem, if you can do the math, then do the
design, and then have a manufacturing method that can produce one of them.
This is where 3D printing comes in.

The really complex math exercise that gets you to the shifter profile that
pulls the RD-M760-GS in this direction gets repeated once you figure out where
to put a secondary cable to pull the derailer in that direction.  Those
profiles need to also have the property that they counterbalance each other so
you never get even a bit of slack in the cable, allowing you to actuate both
cables with one shiftlever.  Push me pull you.  That's why White Industries
made the LMDS on sliders.  They at least made the derailer motion linear, and
the cable motion linear, so the math wouldn't be so GNARLY.

Me, I don't plan on building a derailer, and I don't mind the math.  Today I
worked out the GNARLY math and have both cam profiles.  I now need to strong
arm my brother in law to translate my numbers into a solidworks model.  Once
that's done, it's trivial to 3D print this weird cammish shifter, and try to
hook up a DIY desmodromic rear shifting system.  The real key compnent is to
modify an existing shifter design that has adjustable and equal friction in
both directions and fits into a really small space.  I'm going to base my
design on this Cheapo Simplex model.

French AND Cheapo<http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380734533172?lpid=82&chn=ps>

If I can emulate that plastic inner shifter piece, but implement my optimal cam
profile, and figure out a cable fixing mechanism to prevent slipping at the
shifter, then getting it 3D printed is practically free.

Why do it?  Well, Jan goes on and on how much the rest of the world wastes
energy pushing against a spring to shift in this direction and having nothing
to do with the shift in that direction because only the spring is doing it.  I
just wanted to see what it is he's fussing about.  I don't want to buy a 1930s
Singer or Herse for $15000, and I don't want to build a totally custom $20000
bike like Jan did, but I do want to explore.  I don't even want to spend the
$400 it takes to buy a WI LMDS on Ebay.  But, if I can spend $50 and a number
of hours exploring something in detail that I had previously just taken for
granted, that amounts to a Winter project for me.