I'm also on board with this perspective.

Personally, I think I was hung up on drop bars, thinking that they were the
apparent default "road" bars because it had been determined they were
versatile, comfortable and just the best for serious cycling. I assumed
that I just needed to dial things in to reach a level of comfort and
natural control of the bike. That never really happened and I'm now
wondering if I'm just best off with what feels best, and honestly admit
that is usually Albas or some kind of swept-back city bars with
mountain-type brake levers.

I recently built up a new Rambouillet with Albas and it may very well stay
that way. BUT BUT - it's a ROAD BIKE! You can't do that! But really, if it
feels right, why not?

KJ