On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 7:11:35 AM UTC-7, blakcloud wrote:

> My final thought is the name of these bikes. The convention is using just
> two words to describe bikes, road bike, mountain bike, kids bike, racing
> bike, downhill bike etc. High Performance Upright Bikes certainly is a
> mouthful and I am thinking is there a way to describe the bikes in
> essentially two words or three at the most? Maybe dropping one word to
> Performance Upright Bikes would be somewhat of a compromise. Maybe others
> can chime in.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.   If your goal is to proselytize and
convert other people's thinking, you're going to need to quoin a
much catchier name for the category.   Detractors will certainly have
plenty or derogatory nicknames:  "old man's bikes,"  "sit-up-and-beg
bikes,"  "Dutch-heavy,"  "Townies, " etc.  Not sure what that might be,
though.   Being a bit tongue in cheek here, because I can't think of
anything better myself, but it needs to capture your imagination the way
"gravel grinder" or "monster cross" do.   Something like "couch rockets,"
or "comfort speedsters,"  or "ergo-racers," or "enthusiast cruisers...
encruzers?"

And you're going to have to spend some effort explaining (or referencing
others who can explain) WHY such bikes should be taken seriously as
"performance" machines, and why it's not as simple as slapping some upright
bars on a light bike.   Explain why building and setting one up
properly requires a completely different mindset - all the way to frame
geometry.   Even in this group, where you're preaching to the choir, it's
hard to verbalize those things.   For instance, when Patrick was having
trouble with the handling of his Rambouillet recently, and he was
determined to start from the assumption that his saddle needed to be
located exactly the same, relative to the bottom bracket, as all his other
bikes, I found myself completely unable to explain why he needed to let go
and do something different.   How do you explain that the "performance"
aspect is achieved by retaining the *same*,  body angles and position that
people are used to (and emotionally invested in), and which provides the
most efficiency and power - but that this position is somehow "rotated" -
so that the seat may be set back further, and the seatpost extended less,
and the handlebars higher and closer, etc...?