You can ride any tire you want  , it's just a say 28mm tire won't be so
comfy ;) .   Just because a frame can take wide tires and "most" appear to
ride them means nothing .  It's your bike, your ride , your life , your joy
:)

   That said, on my Bombadil I ride Vittoria Voyager Hypers in the 38/40mm
width, about 39 actual on Mavic A719's.  These are a light, supple sweet
riding and zippy tire.  They're like super size supple road tires .  Many
here like their Compass tires also FWIW, I've not ridden them nor likely
will try them any time soon .  I've grown rather fond of black sidewalls
with reflector strips !

  If you're not familiar with the Bombadil , it's the tank before the Hunqa
tank came out . ...  . lol .