Just an aside:  it's funny that here 38-40 mm tires are on the narrow end
of the spectrum.  My Atlantis came with 35 mm Paselas, and I recall reading
somewhere that the bike was designed for tires in the 35-50 mm range.
Since then, 38-40 feels like the optimal size and looks perfectly normal.
While I'm not aware of the referenced article, a lot depends on what tires
are being compared, not only their size.  If the Hunq rider replaced say a
50 mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus with a 38 mm Soma C-line or one of the Compass
tires, the difference would be huge in both comfort and general zippiness.

dougP