Thanks for your suggestions on how to attack my stuck stem wedge.  The
consensus certainly seems to be that I need to attack it from the bottom of
the head tube.  That suggestion makes a lot of sense to me.  Unfortunately,
it also means that I need to remove the front fender and [most likely] the
front brake as well.  It is amazing how what began as a relatively simple,
straight-forward project has become much more involved.

My plan is to purchase a Nitto Tallux stem to use on this bike, as I am
looking to go both a bit taller and longer than my current stem.  Is it
possible [or likely] that the stuck wedge has caused any damage to the head
tube that will make this plan not work?

Anyone have any experience with a threadless stem adaptor, such as this one
sold by VO?  VO Threadless Stem Adaptor
<http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/stems/quill-stems/vo-threadless-stem-adaptor.html>.

I have contemplating using one of these and a VO threadless stem on this
project, but think that the Tallus will work even better for me.

Again, thanks for your help.

Sean