Great a idea for a thread to share the joy.
On Saturday we rode our bikes from the KOA park in Petaluma to downtown
(apparently 3.9 miles) and then found our way to the Petaluma Marsh Trail
(I think Shollenberger Park, about 2.2 miles) for a nice chance to watch
kayakers on the river and beautiful birds.  Then back to Petaluma for great
Thai lunch and then back to KOA.  A "full" day by the time we got done.

On Sunday, we drove to Santa Rosa and left the car at Olive Park to ride
the Joe Rodota trail to Sebastapol (I expected about 4 miles).  We
immediately took a wrong turn and ended up riding the Prince Memorial
Greenway Trail.  Rode it a little past the "end trail" sign where it
became gravel, then dirt, then ? and decided to go back to the trail end
and check the GPS.  It showed we had ridden about 4 miles and were 4 miles
from Sebastapol.  VERY happy we took the wrong turn as it ended up being a
really beautiful ride and gave us the opportunity to compare. So then on to
Sebastapol to enjoy a nice cup of coffee and make sure we knew how to get
on the Joe Rodota trail to ride back.  Trail was very nice, but neither of
us thought nearly as pretty as the Prince Memorial Greenway.  Sure makes
you want to live in Sebastapol and work in Santa Rosa, or the other way
around, so you would have to ride that commute every day.  Even better, not
work and just ride.

Pictures:
Saturday
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/131372356@N04/sets/72157651647481941>
Sunday <https://www.flickr.com/photos/131372356@N04/sets/72157651242840760>

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 7:16:19 AM UTC-7, Patrick Moore wrote:

> Aside: while working on Sat, visited by a roadie on a carbon fiber
> Cannondale, usual kit, bar 3" below saddle (he'd raised it); man shuffled
> in to shoot the breeze.
>
> *The roadie is 83 years old!!!!* His age alone makes him
> "bobbish/Rivendellish", bike and kit be damned.
>
> A youngster came by just before closing to pick up his ... *Original
> condition, original owner, 1959 Bianchi, toute beausage, cottered cranks,
> 47/50 X 14-24, Grand Sport derailleurs,* bought by owner during a cycling
> trip to Italy in 1961 or so. He had another one, 1961, with cotterless
> cranks and original edition Record and Cycle Art paint, in his car. He's
> going to ride Eroica on the '59. Bike was shod with Velocity V rims and 23
> mm Paselas; I tried to argue that he install something like Parigi Roubaix
> -- bike can clear 35s at least -- but he stubbornly said they were too wide
> to look "authentic" -- my  brother had brought the P-R wheelset to Stevie's
> to borrow the lockring tool and chain whip. This young man used to ride
> with Jobst Brandt's cycling club.
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Just 16.6 miles on Saturday, rt to Stevie's Happy Bikes in Corrales, NM
>> where I filled in for Steve who is on vacation. Downhill, with headwind out
>> of the eastish on the way in; uphill, stronger headwind out of the west, on
>> the way back. Stubbornly refused to put it into the 19; walked the steepest
>> parts instead. Glad to get back to a couple of beers, takeout from
>> Stevie's, a fringe benefit.
>>
>> Didn't ride Sunday; felt tired and decided to take a nap instead.
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 9:07 PM, JohnS <shar...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to instigate a discussion on everyone's weekend ride. I'll start.
>>> My wife and I got out for a short ride of about 7 miles on Saturday
>>> . It was the first ride of the season for Suzanne so we didn't plan to
>>> go to far. The cold stiff wind and and overcast sky didn't help either. We
>>> have to start training for the NYC 5 Boro tour on May 3rd. We'll be
>>> doing that with your 12 year old son and a friend of ours. My son will be
>>> riding our '80's Rodriguez tandem with me. Next year he'll be able to ride
>>> on his own.
>>>
>>> On Sunday I got out by myself for a 35 mile. The wind wasn't nearly as
>>> bad and the sun was shining which helped a lot. I was using the low gear
>>> for about 10% of the ride, more than I'll think I'll be using later in the
>>> season. It did get me up all but one really tough hill so it definitely is