Not to perpetuate any discussion on the helmet topic, my position on the
issue is that if I'm going to wear one (and I do), I want to make it as
bold and awesome as my bikes are. Therefore, I just replaced my aging
Specialized helmet with a new POC Octal MIPS bright orange helmet that cost
a fortune for a helmet, but gives my wife peace of mind:
http://news.pocsports.com/2014/08/21/poc-unveils-the-octal-avip-mips-and-eye-park/

Since its vents are so large (and it feels awesome when riding with it),
I'm going to explore some of the great suggestions that have been shared in
this thread to ride with warm temperatures and additional sun protection as
we're getting summer temperatures here in the SF Bay Area now. When it's
colder, I just wear and love the Icebreaker Chase Beanies:
http://www.icebreaker.com/en/web-specials/chase-beanie/100746_WS.html?dwvar_100746__WS_color=302&cts=110%7C501%7CD87%7C302%7C401

René