I'm not Eric, but I'll chime in here a bit as I'm playing with the
distances and what I've learned from running a few ultra marathon distances
is perhaps informative.

-- having a solid base of short rides is an excellent base, and some folks
can pop up from such a base to a much longer distance having never done
them before; however, most folks need to build endurance more, especially
if they desire to enjoy the experience rather than simply "no pain no gain"
it.

-- Try a 100k and see how you do. That's double your daily commute. If that
goes well, try a century. I've done runs and rides where I felt great for x
miles, then fell apart for the last x miles. Until you figure out where
that breakdown point is for you you don't really know what you are working
with.

-- Most important, enjoy. Have fun. After all, that is hopefully why you
are out there. But it can be easy (at least for me) to get sucked into the
competitive side and that's when I stop enjoying it but don't notice
because I'm obsessively focused on the numbers. That's why I don't track
time, distance, speed, etc. save for the basics of rudimentary navigation.

With abandon,
Patrick