Foot pain from riding, especially on rides more than 40 miles resulting in
ball of foot puffiness (not see-able, but feels like it when walking after
riding), and tip of big toe pain, with a little tingly line down the side
of big toe.

I don't think its good to keep punishing the dogs and its time to try new
pedals and/or shoes.
I use MKS Touring and sneakers right now.

I opened the other thread on "What do Rivendell Riders use for cycling
shoes (not clipless)", in which the issue was touched upon.

I know your take: Strong feet +Vice pedals + bare feet/minimalist shoe like
coverings = excellent riding!
But alas, I am not as hardy in cold weather riding, so I need to use shoes.
I do go shoeless inside the house, though and have for the last 18(?)
years. So I guess I am living 1/2-time barefoot.