Soft sole shoes need a wider/flatter surfaced pedal to distribute
downforce. Stiff soled shoes can get by with a tiny SPD or Eggbeater type
contact. Sounds like you have a soft sole and two narrow/linear points of
contact (MKS Touring). Either wear firmer-soled shoes, or get a platform
pedal. I'd vote for pedal change over the shoe change.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Deacon Patrick <lamontg...@mac.com> wrote:

> I agree with Ron that your foot may be flexing too much, but disagree that
> means you need to increase support. I believe it means you need to decrease
> support and intentionally strengthen your foot.
>
> The arch of the foot is a windlass mechanism. When running it absorbs
> energy on landing, stores it through the foot plant, and returns a healthy
> portion of that energy back in the push off. It's quite amazing. But if the
> foot muscles are weak, it may not be able to hold the "lock" or "push off"
> position, which I experience as the best position for forefoot pedaling. On
> the pedal, the foot feels locked and like it does when pushing off when
> running. This differs from a midfoot pedal position which most closely
> resembles the storage/foot plant part of the running stride.
>
> I would suggest you work on strengthening your feet, listening to them as
> to how much is too much. Run also, if you can. Add milage as you feet are
> comfortable. The alternative is that you add support and your feet get
> weaker because of it.
>
> As to the toe tingly, are your shoes wide enough or do the push your big
> toe inward? You may have to really pay attention, because most shoes are
> not foot shaped, so most people are used to having shoes deform their feet
> and not noticing (I sure was).
>
> Wear shoes (ideally minimalist, Zem Terra series are excellent) when you
> need to ( for cold, rock and root safety, fine if it's all the time). But
> don't wear shoes that will further weaken or deform your feet (that have
> support, arent' foot shaped, have a raised heel, or cushioning).
>
> Have fun playing with what works!
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal