I think the incident was a huge opportunity for a magnificent put-down,
something along the lines of, "Joe Blow of Surly and I conferred about this
build, and we both agreed with Tom Ritchey and Keith Bontrager that flat
pedals work best for this setup. I must say it works for me; my last 3
customs weren't nearly as nice."

Of course, the dork probably started riding in 2012 and doesn't know
"Ritchey" or "Bontrager" from "Graco".

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 7:53 AM, Will <waller.will...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I dunno about this.
>
> I remember walking the babies in a backpack and stroller. It never failed
> that women (never men) would give unsolicited advice on things. Socks
> needed to be pulled up, hats needed adjusting, sun screen, and so forth.
>
> I never made it a gender issue. And I never thought that they should
> understand that my top-of-the-line Graco stroller with all the expedition
> options (like special wheels) would inform them of my parenting knowledge.
>
> I think this is true for bikes. It might simply be that the young man
> believed that clip-in pedals were more efficient. And it might be that your
> Krampus with all the Gucci parts didn't register with him. Rohloff doesn't
> mean much to me and I know what it costs.
>
> Will
>

> On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 9:09:13 AM UTC-5, Anne Paulson wrote:
>>
>> Is this mansplaining, or does this happen to you, too:
>>
>> I was out riding my Surly Krampus on some fire roads that are, to be
>> honest, too steep for me. So I was doing a lot of walking. But that's
>> OK, I don't mind walking.
>>
>> At the top, I came upon three guys who had ridden up the other side,
>> the easy way. We got to chatting, and, as often happened, they asked
>> me about my bike. I have flats on the bike. And then one of the guys
>> took it upon himself to tell me I should start riding clipless. He
>> explained that clipless would make my pedalling stronger, yadda,
>> yadda.
>>
>> I answered politely, but I was furious. It should have been obvious to
>> him that my bike was carefully chosen: it has 3" tires, a belt drive,
>> a dynamo and a Rohloff hub. This is not a bike that one can can buy
>> off the shop floor; it's a custom bike, and one that he should have
>> realized I chose after careful consideration. Why, then, did he assume
>> that a rider who had ridden for 40 years, and who had carefully chosen
>> all the parts of her bike, would be ignorant of clipless pedals, and
>> that somehow flats got on my bike by accident?
>>
>> Don't be a jerk. Don't assume that riders who make different choices
>> than you do don't know what they're doing. And don't assume that women
>> automatically need the benefit of your superior knowledge.
>>
>> On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Garth <gart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >  good read :
>> >
>> http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto.pdf
>> >
>> > from here :
>> >
>> http://www.bikejames.com/strength/the-flat-pedal-revolution-manifesto-how-to-improve-your-riding-with-flat-pedals/
>> >

>> > You don't have to change your mind and thinking .... nor can you truly
>> .
>> > You can and do however .  . .  Understand :)
>> >
>> > --
>>

>> --
>> -- Anne Paulson
>>
>> It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.
>>
>  --

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten

*The point which is the pivot of the norm is the motionless center of a
circumference on the rim of which all conditions, distinctions, and
individualities revolve. *Chuang Tzu

*Kinei hos eromenon. It moves as the being-loved. *Aristotle

*The Love that moves the Sun and all the other stars. *Dante