I ride clipless the majority of the time. On MTBs it lets me jump
stuff better as I lack the skills to bunny-hop well w/out them. On
road bike rides (longer, sustained pedaling) I have IT band issues
that will set me knee a'screamin' if I don't have it in just the right
spot. Clipless pedals keep my foot/let positioned correctly which
reduces that problem.
They help me ride bikes comfortably, without pain, and for longer
periods of time. Win, win, win!

For the most-part, I tend to not tell bike-riding strangers they
should use them. Too busy letting them know my bike isn't an antique.

On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Patrick Moore <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FWIW, Bruce Boysen, formerly of the iboblist, was a demon singletrack rider
> who said he'd regularly leave his fully suspended, 10 speed peers behind on
> his rigid singlespeed 29er. (His signature used to read, please excuse me,
> "big, rigid, and single".) He rode no-retention. IIRC, Bruce as almost my
> age; in his 50s at any rate.
>
> Anne, relax, there are many idiots out there, don't let them get to you.
>
> Rohloff, belt drive -- is this the Krampus? Photo?
>
> I agree wholeheartedly with Eric: what works for you may be very different
> from what works for me, but that doesn't mean either set of choices hasn't
> been well thought out.
>
> But I am eager to see BQ's evaluation.

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal