On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 11:03:00 AM UTC-7, Steve Palincsar wrote:

> On 05/18/2015 01:24 PM, Mike Schiller wrote:
> > ...of course we all must realize  that the most well researched,
> > carefully chosen, and costly bike/stroller may not be the best choice
> > for a person/use.  The person on their $5000+ carbon bike most likely
> > feels that they made an informed decision even though they would be
> > more comfortable on an upright bike with proper gearing and a
> > comfortable seat ( where have I heard that before?).
>
> Why are we all assuming the person who bought the $5000 carbon road bike
> made a bad choice?  Simply because you saw them riding on the MUP with
> it?  It may be their only bike, and although it might be sub-optimal for
> a MUP they may do most of their riding on roads and in groups where such
> a bike is a perfectly appropriate choice. What's more, because you are
> more comfortable on an upright bike, why assume they would be?  Not
> everyone finds road bikes uncomfortable, and not everyone finds upright
> bikes comfortable. And, of course, everyone's idea of a comfortable seat
> is different.

Of course, now a days, a lot of $5000 carbon bikes are designed with
"upright" seating position for more comfort!  For example, last year my
buddy, who just got in cycling, went into a Trek store and bought that $5k
carbon bike! Electronic di2 shifting, tubeless ready wheels (I was able to
talk him into 700x25 tires!), 600 series carbon frames, integrated garmin
sensors.... Well, he also got the "H2" fitting position! This is the one
that has a sloping top tube and a higher head tube for, guess
what?.....wait....yup, to get that handlebar higher!  Not only is my buddy
comfortable, he ended up losing 30+lbs and is now one of the fastest guys
up the hill!   What's not to like?!